In 1872, George Folwell Lang was born the youngest of 7 children to Welsh immigrants. George F. worked for J.B. Reed, a close friend and his brother in-law. The two men went into the soap business together, selling soap door-to-door, to support their families. Years later, in 1900, George created George F. Lang Company, which has been family owned and operated by the Lang family since.
Originally, George F. Lang Company, picked up and delivered rugs for cleaning using horse drawn carriages. Lang Company even had its stables for their horses. Lang has also had multiple carpet cleaning locations over the years including, 10th and Orange Street, 1207 N. Orange Street, 407 N. Adams Street, 702 W. 5th Street, and our current location at 1001 N. Union Street. In addition to our location changes, Lang Co. has changed our name. In 2000, Lang’s 100th anniversary, George F. Lang Co. became better known as Lang Carpet.
George F., along with the entire Lang family, have been a long standing members of the Wilmington community. In 1929, the Governor appointed George F. to the Department of Elections for the City of Wilmington, Delaware. George F. was also known locally for his daily classifieds advertisement, which asked for 1,000 rugs to clean, a tradition, which continued for nearly 40 years.
George F. was married to his wife, Alice, for over 65 years and they had two children. Their younger son, Harold Vaughn Lang Sr. was the second in the line of the four generations of Lang owners that would have owned and operated Lang Co. After Harold V. Lang Sr. retired his son, H. Vaughn Lang Jr. took over the company, followed by the current owner and operator, Thomas Lang.